St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church - 111 Townsend Street
Open for viewing 12 - 4 pm
The oldest Presbyterian congregation in Canada, St. Andrew’s is a fine example of nineteenth century ecclesiastical neo-gothic architecture. It was completed in 1779 and subsequently replaced in 1782 by a new building, In 1879 the church was enlarged and the height of the spire was increased to 118 feet, now topped by a copper weathervane in the shape of a codfish, a symbol of the early Christians as well as Lunenburg’s deep connection to the fishery. The church's importance is demonstrated by its location adjacent to an area designated by the original 1753 town plans as the institutional core of the town, with the town hall, courthouse and Anglican church.