Tower House – Circa 1881-1890
223 Pelham Street
The property was originally purchased by Elizabeth Moyle, who then sold it to ship Captain Isaac D. Mason in 1881, the year that it is believed the Victorian house was built. At the time it was referred to as the “Mason House”, but now commonly called “Tower House” as it is the only house in town with a mansard roof and a large corner tower, providing excellent views of the harbour.
Twenty years ago, extensive modifications included opening up the main floor to create a better flow, and the porch entrance was modified to incorporate a vanity, adjacent to the living room. The upstairs was modified to add a walk-in closet and ensuite bathroom off the master bedroom in 2020. The basement now features a full-sized, separate one bedroom apartment. The coach house/garage appears to predate the house, and the 12-foot ceilings on the second floor would make it an ideal future living space. During the renovations, a complete edition of the Halifax Nova Scotian dated 1914 was found under the bathtub. The house is also referred to as the “Toller House” due to the owner’s extensive collection of the artist Toller Cranston’s work.
Many thanks to owners Denise and Goldie Cranston