Central United Church -136 Cumberland Street
Open for viewing 12 - 4 pm
From 1813-1885, Lunenburg Methodist Church was located at the intersection of Townsend and Prince Streets on the opposite side of the Town Square. In 1882, it was decided to build a larger church at a new location.Dedicated in 1885 and measuring 56 feet by 112 feet, the steep gable roofed structure faces Cumberland Street with a central doorway and large stained windows set into its gable end. On the NW corner, there is a narrow pointed spire and on the NE, a large square tower, which originally had a 75 foot spire but is now truncated with a bell-like cap.The Methodist Church was incorporated into the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming Central United Church, which continues to this day to be a spiritual home for many within our community.